Monday, September 1, 2008

The Law Society Refuses to Engage...

The Law Society refused to comment on my query regarding whether I can sue a person for calling me "ah qua, pondan, bapok, ladyboy, etc." under the Miscellaneous Public Offences Act. Instead, the society referred me to its Legal Aid department. Presumably, I have to make an appoint with one of their volunteer lawyers to discuss the matter. The reason cited for not responding was that I'm an individual member of the public. Does it mean the society will respond to an association, organisation or society? Regardless of the society's stance on the matter, common sense tells us it is of course an offence to call anyone "ah qua, pondan, bapok, ladyboy, etc." in public and with the intention of causing distress. Only in a lawless society will such invectives be allowed to be used on anyone with the intention of causing distress. Case closed.

No comments: