Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mustafa, my Ottoman prince

“I look up from my notes and catch him stealing a glance at me. I blush. He smiles. He waits for me at the school gate after our lesson is over. He looks into my eyes. I look away shyly. He asks if I would like to catch a movie with him. I nod in assent...After the movie, he brings me to an ice-cream parlour where we share an ice cream and chat about school. He takes my hand and leads me gently to the beach. We sit and listen to the symphony of the Aegean sea and gaze at the stars. He shares his dreams with me. He hopes to run a windsurfing centre one day and coach the future national champions of Turkey. He says he wants to have a beautiful wife and three children whom he will nurture to be windsurfing professionals. He holds my hands. I lean against him, my Ottoman prince, imagine I am a simple village girl and dream of having his babies...Of course, this is just my fantasy for he can't even speak English and I'm a good eight years older than him (even though I am beautiful)...but what the heck! A woman can dream, no?”

- Ottoman Dreams, Leona Lo

No comments: