Monday, November 24, 2008

Beautiful or ugly?

If we want to see beauty in something, all we can see is beauty. If we want to see ugliness in something, all we can see is ugliness. The way we see and experience things boils down to personal choice. Would I make a good mother? I don't know. Because I can't be sure that I will always see the good in people, and the beauty in this world, I'm not sure I will make a good mother. I'm not sure I can pass the right "perspective" to my child. Because sometimes, sometimes I don't see my own beauty. I don't always stand up and walk away when people say shockingly appalling things, like when one of my closest friends said gay men shouldn't be allowed to adopt children because they may abuse the kids, and another joked about how the kid would address his fathers...their remarks were callous and spine-chilling, because, who knows what they may think about me, about my own "right" to adopt. And so the world is a confusing, vexing place, because your friends harbour prejudices too, and when these are exposed, do you still choose to see the beauty in them, or recognise ugliness for what it is and call it by its name? There are no easy answers in this world. Yet perhaps it is only in moments like this, that we are closest to God and our beating heart, and we remember that we too, are fallible, and others too, have chosen to see the beauty in us, at some crucial moment in our lives.

No comments: