Saturday, November 1, 2008

Love

This blog is about social change and how we can bring about effective social change through peaceful means. "Love" somehow doesn't seem an appropriate topic for the blog, and yet "love" is truly that one great emotion that can stir me to action. Because of love, my restful sleep is disrupted. Because of love, I feel hopeful. Because of love, I can run 15 km without feeling exhausted. And yet in my chequered past, most of my relationships have been failures - what makes me continue to believe in "love"? Because there is no other way. Denying that I need and want to feel loved would turn me into a cold, bitter person. And I've seen how, through it all, I've grown as a person. I've accepted my physical and character flaws, and worked to refine the latter. I've also discovered that it's ok - and in fact better for everyone - to be who I am and to do what I love to do, than to compromise in the hope that love would run to me sooner. By this, I mean continue to embellish my website, continue to give motivational talks, continue to run long distances competitively, continue to grow my mosaic art box, continue to windsurf into the sunset. I don't have to change myself to fit into a box of the "picture perfect" woman. I think I'm more lovable like this. Although I will still try to remove my tummy fat...

No comments: